Happy President's Day

12 comments
Happy President's Day. When I was just a kid we had a candy store in the middle of our block in the basement level of a home. They would always decorate for holidays and have seasonal items in the store as well as candy and treats. Each February Mr. Schumacher would get these little double cherry candies in his store for Washington's birthday. I would spend a nickle for a double cherry. They were really fun. I found these (above) at an Etsy shop. They are a little different than Mr. Schumacher's but the nostalgic value is perfect.
Before Christmas I found these little mini colanders. They really are very small. I made it look like a fat quarter pack inside them by folding feed sack charm squares into a bundle and then stringing them together to look fat quarterish. Fun gift idea. I had a really busy family weekend with not much sewing at all. But I did chain stitch some picnic blocks. It feels good to sew even for a few moments when time is limited.

Hope you have a nice day off or just a nice day today.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

12 comments

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your creative mind is working again! I love those mini collanders with the charm squares. Great gift idea.

I've got to get myself OUT of the sewing room and into the garden. Lots to do out there and the weather is perfect.

Have a great week!

Lori Holt said...

Nanette...thanks again for my mini colander/mini FQ pack!...it's such a great idea and so cute.
I'm glad you got a little time to sew this weekend even though it was so busy:)
I wish you a happy Presidents Day with a double cherry on top!
xx
lori

Annette said...

Your cherries memory reminded me of visiting my grandma and going to the corner with a dime for ice cream cones. So fun. I love your colanders. Where did you find them...believe it or not, I have a collection (is two a collection?) of little yellow colanders and I love them.

Thimbleanna said...

Those little colanders are adorable Nanette -- you always think of the very cutest gifts!

Lynn said...

So much cuteness, love the picnic blocks!

Sherry said...

Hi Nanette. Love the little colanders with fabric squares. Cute idea. I spent most of the weekend sewing picnic blocks! I'm hooked. LOL

Retrogirl said...

Love the picnic quilt and colanders of goodies...not to mention the double cherry cupcakes!

I've never heard of the double cherries. We used to get a chewy cherry with a jelly bean type of outer layer...I think we ate them by the pound.

strawberrycream39 said...

There's something about colanders that is so cute...and they tiny ones are even more so! Great idea with the mini fabric bundles. I agree about sewing even just for a little bit...kind of a burst of happiness. :-)

Barbara C said...

Those colanders and charm squares are extra-cute. There's something about miniatures that's always appealing, and tiny dish ware always reminds me of doll houses.

Sherri said...

Love those mini colanders. I find that sewing even for a few minutes makes my whole day!

Amanda Jean said...

oh, wow, your faux fat quarter stacks are awesome! i love them! you are a clever one.

Momoo said...

Your colanders filled with fabric are a cute gift idea. A few years ago Jenny gave me a small colander about 6 inches across. Being and empty nester, I find I use it a whole lot more than my full size colander.